Cuevas del Drach (Dragon Caves), Mallorca - a spectacular underground world
You can’t sightsee in Majorca without including the Caves of Drach on your list. Spread over 2000 metres is a natural wonder full of spectacular formations, stalactites, stalagmites and one of the largest underground lakes in the world.
Situated in Porto Cristo, itself a pretty harbour resort, these caves and lake were discovered in 1896 and named the ‘dragon caves’. Beautifully lit, you are able to walk along well laid out paths and take in the magnitude of these incredible caves. A trip across the underground lake (Lake Martel) is also possible, accompanied by classical music as you drift along through the illuminated caves - it’s a definite must do!
What can you find here?
• There are gardens, a bar and souvenir shop.
• Free parking
• A restriction on photographs inside the cave – though you can buy photos in the souvenir shop.
• The delightful harbour of Porto Cristo is close by and worth a visit. It’s natural harbour provides shelter to the many fishing boats still in operation.
• Manacor, the main town of the region, is the centre of the islands artificial pearl industry (you can visit the factory).
- Useful Info: www.cuevasdrach.com
Es Dolc -
Although close to the holiday resort beach of Colonia Sant Jordi, we included these two because after a short walk along the coastline path, you round the corner ...
More about Es Dolc
Playa de Palma -
This resort is on the superb 6 km beach that runs from C’an Pastilla to Arenal . Wide and sandy it is backed by a ...
More about Playa de Palma
Copyright © 2008 - 2014 Ibiza Spotlight S.L. All rights reserved.