Cuevas del Drach (Dragon Caves), Mallorca - a spectacular underground world
You can’t sightsee in Majorca without including the Caves of Drach on your list. Spread over 2000 metres is a natural wonder full of spectacular formations, stalactites, stalagmites and one of the largest underground lakes in the world.
Situated in Porto Cristo, itself a pretty harbour resort, these caves and lake were discovered in 1896 and named the ‘dragon caves’. Beautifully lit, you are able to walk along well laid out paths and take in the magnitude of these incredible caves. A trip across the underground lake (Lake Martel) is also possible, accompanied by classical music as you drift along through the illuminated caves - it’s a definite must do!
What can you find here?
• There are gardens, a bar and souvenir shop.
• Free parking
• A restriction on photographs inside the cave – though you can buy photos in the souvenir shop.
• The delightful harbour of Porto Cristo is close by and worth a visit. It’s natural harbour provides shelter to the many fishing boats still in operation.
• Manacor, the main town of the region, is the centre of the islands artificial pearl industry (you can visit the factory).
- Useful Info: www.cuevasdrach.com
Cala Mesquida -
This beach made our list because of the fabulous density of its sand dunes which stretch far inland giving the landscape an unusual ‘desert-like’ appearance. This ...
More about Cala Mesquida
Close to Portals Nous (the best address in Majorca) you’ll come across the small and exclusive resort of Illetas. In fact it is so exclusive you may not ...
More about Illetas
Copyright © 2008 - 2015 Ibiza Spotlight S.L. All rights reserved.